Black Friday – Small Business Saturday – Cyber Monday. So what now?
This idea is a perennial favorite because it’s been tested and it works! Read the words of one owner who has featured the “12 Days of Christmas“ for the last several years.
“Every year I have a “12 Days of Christmas” promotion at my store. On each of the twelve days leading up to Christmas, I have one featured item on “super sale” for that day only. I make it a good one. Customers come in daily to check and see what’s on sale that day. They usually want to know what’s on sale the next day… but I never tell!”
There are only four simple steps needed for this promotion to work.
1. Pick your items – pick your percentage.
– Choose either high-margin items or ones you’ve overstocked.
– High margins let you give your customers a killer deal and still let you make money.
– Choosing one really great discounted item per day actually works better than a whole category.
2. Get the word out.
– Send a one paragraph email per day to your customers. Use a catchy subject line. Soon they’ll be
waiting to see what’s coming next.
– Additional options: Post a deal of the day on your website, your Facebook page or send a tweet.
3. Make the merchandise enticing.
– Include a picture of the item in your emails and on your Facebook page.
– Some owners have done short, simple and/or humorous videos: Two examples:
~ “13 Days of Halloween” with a different costume each day. Not Christmas, but you get the point.
~ Ms Claus offering the “item of the day”.
4. On December 13th,”Stack them high and watch them fly”.
– Put a big display table by the front entrance with the first “super sale” item. Include a large eye-
catching “12 Days of Christmas” sign. (If you’re not artistically inclined, this is a good time to
Try creativity coupled with a “deal” and watch what happens. Until next time, think ringing cash registers and happy shoppers.