Windows 8 Shortcut keys
With the removal of the "Start" Button in Windows 8, here is a list of 15 shortcut keys that will help you maneuver through the OS.
1. Windows Key + C: Displays Charms menu. – The Charms menu is where the Settings options are brought up. There are other "Charms" but this menu can also be brought up by moving your mouse to the top right corner of any screen.
2. Windows Key + X: Brings up a menu of advanced system options, including Windows Control
Panel, Command Prompt, Task Manager and File Explorer.
3. Windows Key + I: Displays the Settings menu for the current app. For example, if you’re in
Internet Explorer 10, this key shows Internet options. If you’re on the Start menu, it shows
general OS settings.
4. Windows Key + Q: Brings up the apps search menu that allows you to search your list of
5. Windows Key + D: Activates desktop mode.
6. Windows Key + Tab: Brings up the Task Switcher and toggles between Windows 8-style apps.
7. Windows Key + H: Brings up Share menu for the current app. For example, hitting Windows Key +
H in Bing Maps, lets you email or share map information on social networks.
8. Windows Key + M: Opens desktop mode and minimizes all windows.
9. Windows Key + W: Opens universal search menu and sets it to search settings.
10. Windows Key + F: Opens universal search menu and sets it to search files.
11. Windows Key + R: Opens Run menu where you can launch programs by typing in their executable
12. Windows Key + E: Opens File Explorer to the “My Computer” view which shows all your drives.
13. Windows Key +Number Key (1-9): Switch to desktop mode and make the Nth application on the
task bar active where N is the number key you hit and 1 is the furthest taskbar icon to the
14. Windows Key + . (period key): Docks the current Windows 8-style application to the right or
left, depending on how many times you hit it.
15. Windows Key + Z: Brings up app menu, which shows contextual options for the active app.
If you have any system questions or concerns call the CCS Retail Systems Support Department at 800.672.4806 or email us.
Also check out the CCS Amazon Market Place for technical and non-technical items of reference, entertainment, collectibles, and exercise equipment. You can find it here.